Update: SIU Releases Name of Man in Hamilton Firearm Death Investigation
Case Number: 11-OFD-021
Other News Releases Related to Case 11-OFD-021
Mississauga (4 February, 2011) --- Ontario's Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is continuing to probe the circumstances surrounding the February 2, 2011, death of 19-year-old Andreas Chinnery.
The SIU investigation to date has determined that:
• Officers with the Hamilton Police Service (HPS) attended a disturbance call on Wednesday, February 2nd, 2011 at approximately 10:43 PM, to a residence on Barton Street East near Lottridge Street;
• During the interaction, Mr. Chinnery was struck by at least one shot fired by an HPS officer;
• Mr Chinnery was transported to Hamilton General Hospital, where he was pronounced dead;
• The SIU has designated one officer and two witness officers; and
• An autopsy will be conducted today in Hamilton.
The SIU has assigned six investigators and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstance of this incident. Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 416-622-0748 or 1-800-787-8529.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342