SIU Investigates Firearm Death in Grey County
Case Number: 11-PFD-033
Other News Releases Related to Case 11-PFD-033
Mississauga (22 February, 2011) --- Ontario's Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a man late yesterday evening in the hamlet of Kemble.
Ontario Provincial Police (OPP), Grey Detachment contacted the SIU at 10:10 p.m. yesterday and reported the following;
- OPP officers responded to a call in Georgian Bluffs Township at 9:49 p.m. yesterday evening in regards to a criminal investigation;
- During their investigation OPP officers became involved in the pursuit of a vehicle;
- The OPP deployed a spike belt, which disabled the vehicle;
- The man got out the vehicle and exchanged gunfire with officers;
- The man fled on foot into a wooded area;
- The OPP Tactical Rescue Unit and K-9 responded to the area; and
- Officers later located a deceased man in the wooded area.
The SIU has assigned four investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 416-622-2038 or 1-800-787-8529 extension #2038.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Frank Phillips, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342