SIU Investigates Firearm Injury in Toronto
Case Number: 11-TFI-032
Other News Releases Related to Case 11-TFI-032
Mississauga (22 February, 2011) --- Ontario's Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the gunshot injuries sustained by a 29-year-old man in Toronto on the evening of February 21.
Toronto Police Service (TPS) contacted the SIU at 9:05 p.m. yesterday and reported the following;
- TPS officers responded to a call on Weston Road;
- Upon arrival officers located a man involved in the call at the rear of the apartment building,
- Officers interacted with this male, and he was shot at least once;
- The man fled on foot northbound on Weston Road followed by police;
- The man eventually ran into traffic and was struck by a car. He was transported to Sunnybrook Hospital and admitted for treatment; and
- Four officers have been designated as witness officers and one officer has been designated as a subject officer.
Five investigators and two forensic investigators are presently investigating the circumstances surrounding this incident. Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 416-622-0748 or 1-800-787-8529.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Frank Phillips, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342