SIU Investigating Firearm Death in Burlington
Case Number: 11-OFD-042
Other News Releases Related to Case 11-OFD-042
- The HRPS received a number of calls about an erratic driver;
- An HRPS officer stopped the car on Walkers Line north of Mainway Drive at approximately 7:30 p.m.;
- The officer interacted with the man who was driving the car;
- During this interaction the officer discharged his firearm;
- The man sustained a gunshot injury;
- The man was taken to the Joseph Brant Memorial Hospital in Burlington by ambulance;
- At 9:57 p.m. the man was pronounced dead.
The SIU has assigned eight investigators and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstances surrounding this incident.
No name will be released pending notification of next of kin. A post-mortem is pending.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 416-622-1935 or 1-800-787-8529 extension #1935.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.