SIU Investigating Custody Injury in Strathroy
Case Number: 11-OCI-040
Mississauga (15 March, 2011) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the custody injury of a man in Strathroy in February.
• On February 25, 2011 officers from the Strathroy-Caradoc Police Service were called to the Sprucedale Nursing Home in Strathroy by a staff member of the home;
• The officers interacted with a 56 year old male resident of the home; and
• The man was taken to Strathroy Middlesex General Hospital and transferred to London Health Science Centre where it was determined he had sustained a fracture during his interaction with police.
The SIU has assigned two investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Frank Phillips, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342