SIU Investigating Incident in Barrie
Case Number: 11-OCI-048
Other News Releases Related to Case 11-OCI-048
Mississauga (21 March, 2011) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the custody injury of a man in police custody in Barrie on Saturday March 19, 2011.
On March 20, 2011 the Barrie Police Service (BPS) contacted the SIU and advised the following;
• At 6:30 p.m. officers from the BPS responded to a call in the area of the bus depot and arrested a man;
• The 38-year-old Barrie man was taken to the police station and lodged in a cell;
• At 11:00 p.m. the man was found to be in medical distress;
• He was transported to the Royal Victoria Hospital in Barrie for treatment; and
• He was admitted to hospital and is presently undergoing treatment in the Intensive Care Unit.
The SIU has assigned two investigators and one forensic investigator to probe the circumstances of this incident.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Frank Phillips, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342