SIU Investigation in Barrie Continues
Case Number: 11-OCI-048
Mississauga (24 March, 2011) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is continuing its investigation into an incident on Saturday March 19, 2011 in Barrie.
The SIU investigation to date has determined the following;
• On March 19, 2011 the Barrie Police Service (BPS) arrested a man in the area of the bus depot in downtown Barrie;
• He was lodged in a cell;
• At 11:00 p.m. he was found to be in medical distress; and
• He was transported to the Royal Victoria Hospital in Barrie for treatment and eventually admitted to the Intensive Care Unit.
On Tuesday March 22, 2011, 38-year-old Jason Snow of Barrie passed away in hospital.
A post mortem is scheduled for 10:00 a.m. Friday March 25, 2011.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Frank Phillips, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342