SIU INVESTIGATES FIREARM INJURY IN HANOVER
Case Number: 11-OFI-053
Mississauga (28 March, 2011) --- The Hanover Police Service (HPS) contacted the SIU at 6:24 a.m. today and reported the following:
• At 0516 hrs HPS was called to a residence on Tenth Street above the Forum Bar for a disturbance involving a knife;
• HPS officers requested the assistance of the West Grey Police Service and the OPP Walkerton Detachment;
• While on scene members of the HPS and OPP interacted with a 53-year-old man;
• During the interaction the Taser was deployed by an OPP officer.;
• An HPS officer discharged his service pistol at least once;
• The 53-year-old man was transported to the Hanover Hospital for treatment of a gunshot wound; and
• The male is in stable condition.
The SIU investigation is ongoing. Five investigators and three forensic investigators from the unit are currently assigned to probe the circumstances of this incident
.Anyone who may have information on this matter is asked to contact the SIU at 1-800-787-8529 or 416-622-0748.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Frank Phillips, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342