SIU Investigating After Man Struck by OPP Officer in Pickup Truck in Innisfil
Case Number: 23-PVI-276
Other News Releases Related to Case 23-PVI-276
- On July 19, 2023, officers in vehicles attempted to box in and arrest the man, who was driving an SUV, in the area of Mapleview Drive East and Bayview Drive in Barrie as part of a drug investigation.
- The man fled and struck a hydro pole in a grassy area at Commerce Gate and Innisfil Heights Crescent in Innisfil.
- The man fled on foot and was struck by an officer driving an unmarked pickup truck.
- Paramedics were called and rendered medical care. The man was transported to a Toronto hospital where he remains.
If you or someone you know is an affected person in need of support, please call the Affected Persons Program General Referral Line at 1-877-641-1897 or click here for more information: siu.on.ca/en/apc.php
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES