SIU Investigating After Man Fatally Shot by Police in London
Case Number: 23-OFD-278
Other News Releases Related to Case 23-OFD-278
- On the morning of July 21, 2023, the London Police Service received numerous calls regarding a man who was armed with a gun. It was reported that this man had numerous interactions with members of the public.
- Officers were dispatched, and they located the man in the garage of a residence on Glenroy Road.
- There was an interaction, and a police firearm was discharged. The man was struck.
- He was transported to hospital where he was pronounced deceased.
If you or someone you know is an affected person in need of support, please call the Affected Persons Program General Referral Line at 1-877-641-1897 or click here for more information: siu.on.ca/en/apc.php
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES