SIU Investigating Incident in Ottawa
Case Number: 11-OVI-062
Mississauga (12 April, 2011) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the injury of a man in Ottawa yesterday.
On April 11, 2011 the Ottawa Police Service (OPS) contacted the SIU and advised the following;
• At 12:06 p.m. officers from the OPS were investigating an alleged criminal offence in the area of Waverly Street;
• A man fled from the area on foot. OPS officers chased after him;
• Other officers arrived to assist. During the foot chase the man came into contact with an OPS police vehicle;
• A 47-year-old Ottawa man was taken into custody; and
• The man was taken to Ottawa Civic Hospital where it was determined that he had sustained a fracture.
The SIU has assigned two investigators, two forensic investigators and an accident reconstructionist to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416 622 2314 or 1 800 787 8529 extension 2314.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342