SIU INVESTIGATES DEATH IN GUELPH
Case Number: 11-OCD-071
Mississauga (2 May, 2011) --- The Guelph Police Service (GPS) contacted the SIU at 9:30 p.m. Saturday April 30, 2011 and reported the following:
• At 2:29 p.m. April 30, 2011 the GPS answered a disturbance call on Alice St. in Guelph;
• When the officers arrived it was determined that two men had sustained stab wounds. They were subsequently taken to hospital;
• The male suspect in the occurrence went to his basement apartment at 199 Alice Street;
• Due to the nature of the call the GPS Tactical Rescue Unit (TRU) responded to the area and cordoned off the area surrounding the home;
• Numerous attempts were made by the GPS to contact the man; and
• Members of the TRU team entered the home at 9:15 p.m. and located a deceased 45-year-old male.
The SIU investigation is ongoing. Five investigators and three forensic investigators from the unit are currently assigned to probe the circumstances of this incident.
A post-mortem will be conducted today in Hamilton on the 45-year-old man.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the SIU at 416-622-0748 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1898.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Frank Phillips, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342