SIU Investigating Vehicle Deaths in Orillia
Case Number: 11-PVD-073
Other News Releases Related to Case 11-PVD-073
Mississauga (3 May, 2011) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a 28–year-old man and 19-year-old woman in a single-vehicle collision in Orillia early this morning.
The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) contacted the SIU this morning and reported the following:
• At 4:17 a.m. OPP officers from the Barrie Detachment attempted to stop a vehicle on Highway 11 in Barrie;
• The vehicle did not stop;
• The vehicle exited Highway 11 at Memorial Avenue in Orillia;
• The vehicle was involved in a collision at Memorial Avenue and Dunn Avenue;
• Both occupants of the vehicle sustained injuries in the collision. They were taken to Orillia Soldier’s Memorial Hospital where they were pronounced dead.
The SIU has assigned seven investigators and three forensic investigators to investigate the circumstances surrounding this occurrence. As well, the SIU deployed its Mobile Command Unit to the scene.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 416-622-2290 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 2290.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Frank Phillips, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342