SIU Investigates Firearm Injury in Tweed
Case Number: 11-PFI-098
Other News Releases Related to Case 11-PFI-098
Mississauga (8 June, 2011) --- Ontario's Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the gunshot injuries sustained by a 22-year-old man in Tweed in the evening of June 7, 2011.
The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) contacted the SIU at 10:44 p.m. last night and reported the following;
• At approximately 9:24 p.m., OPP officers responded to a call on Victoria St. N.;
• Upon arrival officers located the man involved in the call;
• Officers interacted with this man, and he was shot at least once;
• He was transported to Quinte Health Care Belleville General Hospital; and
• During the interaction with the man, one OPP officer also sustained non-life-threatening injuries.
The injured man has been transferred to Kingston General Hospital. His condition is unknown at this time. The injured officer was treated at hospital and released.
The SIU has designated one OPP officer as a witness officer and one officer as a subject officer.
Five investigators and three forensic investigators from the SIU are presently investigating the circumstances surrounding this incident. Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 416-622-0748 or 1-800-787-8529.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Kaia Werbus, Kaia.Werbus@ontario.ca
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342