SIU Investigates Custody Death in Whitby
Case Number: 11-OCD-124
Mississauga (5 July, 2011) --- Ontario's Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a 22 year-old man in Whitby. Durham Regional Police Service (DRPS) contacted the SIU at approximately 8:50pm this evening, and reported the following:
• DRPS received a call for service to an address on Clune Place Drive;
• When police arrived, a 2 year-old infant was found in medical distress;
• The infant was transported to Sick Children’s Hospital in Toronto;
• A male was also found deceased at the residence.
The SIU has assigned five investigators and three forensic investigators to this investigation.
Anyone who may have information regarding this incident is asked to contact the Unit at 416-622-1935 or 1-800-787-8529 extension #1935.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342