SIU Investigating Vehicle Death in Wellington County
Case Number: 11-PVD-136
Other News Releases Related to Case 11-PVD-136
Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a 30-year-old Milton man in Wellington County in a collision on Sunday July 17.
The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) contacted the SIU yesterday afternoon and reported the following:
- Wellington County OPP were operating radar on the Hanlon Expressway in Guelph;
- Three motorcycles travelling southbound went through the radar;
- At 3:30 p.m. one of the motorcycles collided with a vehicle in the intersection of the Hanlon Expressway and County Road 34;
- The motorcyclist was transported to Hamilton General Hospital;
- The motorcyclist was pronounced dead at 7:40 p.m.; and
- A post mortem was conducted this morning in Hamilton.
The SIU has assigned three investigators, two forensic investigators and a collision reconstructionist to investigate the circumstances surrounding this occurrence.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 416-622-2038 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 2038.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.