SIU Investigating Collision in Cornwall
Case Number: 11-OVI-111
Mississauga (17 June, 2011) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the serious injuries suffered by a 44 year-old male motorcyclist yesterday afternoon in Cornwall.
At this time the SIU has the following information:
• On Thursday June 16, 2011 at approximately 4:30pm, a Cornwall Community Police Service officer responding to the scene of an unrelated fatal motor vehicle collision was involved in a collision with a civilian motorcycle in the area of South Branch Road East and McConnell Avenue in Cornwall.
• The driver of the motorcycle was transported to the Cornwall Community Hospital and treated for a broken leg.
• The involved officer did not sustain any serious injury.
• The SIU has assigned four investigators, one collision reconstructionist, and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances surrounding this incident.
• At present one subject officer and four witness officers have been designated.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 416-622-2380 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1957.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Frank Phillips, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342