SIU Investigates Death of Man in Peel
Case Number: 11-OCD-146
Other News Releases Related to Case 11-OCD-146
Mississauga (24 July, 2011) --- Ontario's Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances of the death of a man in Peel Region today. The Peel Regional Police (PRP) reported the following information to the SIU:
• At approximately 2:15 a.m. on Sunday, July 24, PRP officers became involved with a man near the Pearson International Airport on the ramp to Terminal 3.
• The man was restrained and became Vital Signs Absent (VSA) at the scene and was been taken to the William Osler Health Centre, Etobicoke General Hospital where he was pronounced deceased.
Six investigators and three forensic investigators are investigating this incident. The SIU has designated three officers as subject officers and eight officers as witness officers. Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 416-622-1886 or 1-800-787-8529 X 1886.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Frank Phillips, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342