SIU Investigating Firearm Death in Toronto
Case Number: 11-TFD-150
Other News Releases Related to Case 11-TFD-150
Mississauga (31 July, 2011) --- Ontario's Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the firearm death of a man yesterday evening in Toronto.
The Toronto Police Service (TPS) contacted the SIU at 8:05 p.m. Saturday July 30, 2011 and reported the following:
• TPS officers received a report of a disturbance involving three men in the area of 955 Lakeshore Road West;
• Officers interacted with the men and shots were fired;
• Two men and a woman, sustained gunshot injuries;
• All three people were transported to hospital by ambulances;
• A man and woman were taken to St. Mike’s Hospital. The other man was taken to Toronto General Hospital where he was admitted
• A 30-year-old man was pronounced dead at St. Mike’s Hospital; and
• The woman is undergoing surgery.
The SIU has assigned six investigators and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstances surrounding this incident.
The name of the deceased male will not be released at this time pending notification of next of kin.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 416-622-1806 or 1-800-787-8529 extension #1806.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Frank Phillips, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342