SIU INVESTIGATES COLLISION IN HAGERSVILLE
Case Number: 11-PVI-148
Other News Releases Related to Case 11-PVI-148
Mississauga (30 July, 2011) --- The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) contacted the Special Investigations Unit this morning at 7:40 a.m. and reported the following;
• At 4:35 a.m. OPP officers were dispatched to 1st Line outside of Hagersville in regards to a report of a large disturbance involving a number of people fighting;
• An officer arrived and saw a man leaving the area in a vehicle;
• The officer broadcast the description of the vehicle to other officers;
• Another officer observed the vehicle travelling on Highway 6 north of Hagersville;
• The officer activated his vehicle’s emergency lights, but the vehicle did not stop;
• The vehicle continued north on Highway 6;
• The officer followed the route of the vehicle;
• Approximately one kilometer up the road the officer saw that the vehicle had rolled over;
• The man in the car had been ejected; and
• The man was taken to hospital in Hagersville and later air lifted to Hamilton General Hospital with life threatening injuries.
The SIU has assigned five investigators, two forensic investigators and a collision reconstructionist to the investigation. In addition the SI has deployed its Mobile Investigative Center to the scene.
Anyone who has information regarding this investigation is asked to contact the SIU at 416-622-1806 0r 1-800-787-8529 extension #1806.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Frank Phillips, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342