SIU Investigates Firearm Death in Thornhill
Case Number: 11-OFD-156
Other News Releases Related to Case 11-OFD-156
Mississauga (2 August, 2011) --- Ontario's Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is investigating the circumstances surrounding the death of a man late last evening in Thornhill.
The York Regional Police (YRP) contacted the SIU at 11:45 p.m. yesterday and reported the following;
• YRP officers responded to a call on Cottonwood Court;
• Upon arrival officers interacted with a man;
• As a result of this interaction the officers discharged their firearms; and
• The man was stuck by at least one bullet; and
• The man was pronounced dead by the coroner at the scene.
The SIU has sent four investigators and three forensic investigators to the scene. The SIU also dispatched its Mobile Command Unit to the scene.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 416-6221935 or 1-800-787-8529 extension #1935.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Frank Phillips, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342