SIU Investigating Custody Death in Toronto
Case Number: 11-TCD-155
Other News Releases Related to Case 11-TCD-155
Mississauga (3 August, 2011) --- The Toronto Police Service (TPS) contacted the Special Investigations Unit (SIU) on August 1, 2011 at 9:44 p.m. and reported the following;
• At 8:27 p.m. August 1st, TPS officers were in the area of Christie Street and Bloor Street on an investigation;
• While there the officers interacted with 45-year-old Charles McGillivary of Toronto;
• Mr. McGillivary was arrested by the officers;
• During the arrest a physical interaction took place and Mr. McGillivary collapsed;
• Mr. McGillivary was taken to Toronto Western Hospital by ambulance where he later died; and
• A post mortem was conducted on him on August 2, 2011.
The SIU has assigned three investigators and two forensic investigators to this investigation. Three officers have been designated as subject officers.
Anyone who was in the area at the time, or anyone who may have still pictures, video or audio-video recordings of the incident, is asked to contact the lead investigator at the SIU at 416-622-1806 or 1-800-787-8529 extension #1806.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Frank Phillips, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342