SIU Investigates custody injury in Sault Ste. Marie
Case Number: 11-OCI-166
Mississauga (11 August, 2011) --- The Sault Ste. Marie Police Service (SSMPS) contacted the Special Investigations Unit yesterday at approximately 4:45 p.m. and reported the following;
• A SSMPS officer went to a residence on Wemyss Street, in Sault Ste. Marie to carry out an arrest warrant;
• Upon arrival the officer noted a vehicle leaving the residence;
• The officer stopped the vehicle and escorted it back to the residence;
• The male driver exited the vehicle and fled into the residence;
• A short time later SSMPS officers entered the home and found the male in medical distress; and
• The male was transported by ambulance to Sault Area Hospital and was admitted for treatment of his injuries.
The SIU has assigned two investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342