SIU Investigates Custody Injury in Toronto
Case Number: 11-TCI-189
Other News Releases Related to Case 11-TCI-189
Mississauga (19 September, 2011) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the custody injury of 42-year-old Daniel Wright of Toronto. The Toronto Police Service (TPS) reported the following information to the SIU:
• On September 19, 2011, at approximately 5:30 a.m., TPS officers responded to a domestic call to 1765 Weston Road;
• There was an interaction between Mr. Wright and officers;
• A Conducted Energy Weapon was used;
• Mr. Wright fell from a balcony and was taken to Sunnybrook Hospital for treatment of his injuries; and
• The Unit has designated two subject officers and five witness officers.
Six investigators and two forensic investigators from the SIU are investigating this incident. Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 416-622-0748 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1898.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342