SIU Investigates Firearm Injury in Toronto
Case Number: 11-TFI-190
Other News Releases Related to Case 11-TFI-190
Mississauga (23 September, 2011) --- Ontario's Special Investigations Unit (SIU) continues to probe the circumstances surrounding the gunshot injuries sustained by 24-year-old Ankur Patel of Toronto on September 19, 2011.
At approximately 2:00pm on that day, the SIU was in contact with the Toronto Police Service (TPS) regarding the incident and has the following information:
• A TPS officer was on paid duty at a construction site on Shuter Street in Toronto;
• The officer was approached by Mr. Patel;
• During the ensuing interaction Mr. Patel was shot at least once by the officer;
• Mr. Patel was transported to St. Michael’s Hospital and remains in serious condition.
The SIU has designated one subject officer and five witness officers. Eight investigators and three forensic investigators continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding this incident. Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 416-622-0748 or 1-800-787-8529.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342