SIU INVESTIGATES FIREARM DEATH IN NORTH YORK
Case Number: 11-TFD-205
Other News Releases Related to Case 11-TFD-205
Mississauga (7 October, 2011) --- The Toronto Police Service (TPS) contacted the SIU at approximately 10:12 am this morning and reported the following:
• TPS was called to a residence on Wedgewood Drive in North York;
• While on scene TPS officers were involved in an interaction with a female;
• During the interaction a police firearm was discharged at least once;
• The female was transported to Sunnybrook Hospital for treatment of a gunshot wound and was pronounced dead on arrival.
The SIU investigation is ongoing. Seven investigators and three forensic investigators from the unit are currently assigned to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information on this matter is asked to contact the SIU at 1-800-787-8529 or 416-622-0748.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342