SIU Investigating Death in Thunder Bay Area
Case Number: 11-PCD-210
Other News Releases Related to Case 11-PCD-210
Mississauga (13 October, 2011) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a man at Kakabeka Falls Provincial Park yesterday.
At 4:45 p.m. October 12, 2011 the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Thunder Bay Detachment contacted the SIU and advised the following;
• At 4:00 p.m. an officer went to Kakabeka Falls Provincial Park in response to a call from provincial park staff;
• The officer interacted with a male;
• At some point the male went over an embankment and landed at the bottom of a ravine; and
• The male was pronounced dead at the scene.
Two investigators and two forensic investigators from the SIU are in the area to investigate the circumstances of this incident. The identity of the deceased male is not known at this time and efforts are underway to identify him. A post mortem is scheduled for later today in Thunder Bay.
The SIU is asking anyone who may have witnessed this incident or has audio or video recordings relating to it, to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1957 or 1 800 787 8529 extension 1957.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Frank Phillips, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342