SIU Investigates Firearm Injury in Oakville
Case Number: 11-OFI-220
Other News Releases Related to Case 11-OFI-220
Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the firearm injury of a 27-year-old woman in Oakville this weekend.
On October 22, 2011, the Halton Regional Police Service (HRPS) contacted the SIU and reported the following;
• At approximately 9:00 p.m. on October 22, officers from HRPS were attempting to locate two vehicles, and located the vehicles on North Service Road near the Oakville Water Treatment Plant;
• The vehicles attempted to flee the scene and shots were fired by police;
• One of the vehicles left the scene and traveled eastbound on North Service Road and then became involved in a collision with a police vehicle near Third Line;
• Shots were also fired by police at that location;
• The female passenger was apprehended and taken to Hamilton General Hospital. She had sustained a non-life threatening gunshot wound to the shoulder. The male driver fled the scene and was apprehended a short time later. One officer received injuries to his hand.
• Five subject officers and five witness officers have been designated.
The SIU has assigned seven investigators and four forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1925 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1925.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342