SIU Investigates Firearm Injury in Brampton
Case Number: 11-OFI-234
Other News Releases Related to Case 11-OFI-234
Mississauga (14 November, 2011) --- Ontario's Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the firearm injury to a 24-year-old man in Brampton yesterday.
The Peel Regional Police contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• At approximately 10:00 p.m. on November 13, officers attended Vodden Court to investigate a matter;
• Upon arrival, officers saw a male in a vehicle;
• At some point, two officers discharged their firearms;
• The vehicle fled the scene;
• A short time later, a male arrived at the Credit Valley Hospital with gunshot wounds to his arm and leg. His vehicle matched the description of the vehicle that fled from Vodden Court. He has since been transferred to St. Michael's Hospital for treatment of serious but non-life threatening injuries.
The SIU has assigned five investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident. Two subject officers and four witness officers have been designated.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2038 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 2038.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342