SIU Investigates Motor Vehicle Injuries in Petawawa
Case Number: 12-PVI-139
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-PVI-139
Mississauga (23 May, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding a motor vehicle collision that resulted in injuries to a 25-year-old man and a 29-year-old man in Petawawa yesterday.
The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• At approximately 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, May 22, 2012, OPP officers began following a suspected stolen vehicle in Arnprior;
• At approximately 5:30 p.m., the vehicle being followed, a Toyota Rav 4, collided with an oncoming vehicle in the area of Highway 17 and Paquette Road;
• The 25-year-old driver of the Rav 4 and the driver of the other vehicle were taken to Ottawa Civic Hospital for treatment of serious but non-life threatening injuries.
The SIU has assigned four investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident. At this time, two subject officers and nine witness officers have been designated.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-9035 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 9035.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342