SIU Investigates Pedestrian Fatality
Case Number: 12-TVD-218
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-TVD-218
Mississauga (28 July, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a pedestrian struck by a Toronto Police Service vehicle.
On July 28, 2012, the Toronto Police Service (TPS) contacted the SIU and reported the following;
• Approximately 1230 hours a Toronto Police Service vehicle was escorting a funeral procession;
• In the area of 500 Rexdale Blvd. the police vehicle struck a pedestrian;
• The pedestrian was killed.
The SIU has assigned six investigators, a collision reconstructionist and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342