SIU Investigates Custody Death in Red Lake
Case Number: 12-PCD-328
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-PCD-328
Mississauga (5 November, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a 35-year-old male in Red Lake this weekend.
The North West Region detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• At approximately 8:00 a.m. on November 4, 2012, officers responded to a call at a residence on Dickenson Road in Red Lake;
• Upon arrival officers notified the Western Region Tactical Response Unit (TRU) team for assistance;
• Members of the OPP TRU team arrived in the evening of November 4;
• In the early hours of November 5, the TRU team entered the residence and found the man deceased with gunshot wounds.
The SIU has assigned two investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances surrounding this incident.
Anyone with information on this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-641-1872 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1872.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342