SIU Investigators Examining Incident Inside Hawkesbury OPP Detachment
Case Number: 17-PCI-237
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-PCI-237
The province’s Special Investigations Unit is examining the circumstances surrounding an incident inside the Hawkesbury Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police, after which a 56-year-old man was transported to hospital with serious injuries.
Preliminary information suggests the following occurred:
- On August 30, 2017, just before midnight, OPP officers were called to a residence in the Main Street East and Tupper Street area.
- At the residence, a 56-year-old man was arrested.
- Around 12:30 a.m. on August 31, 2017, the man was lodged in a cell at the OPP Hawkesbury Detachment.
- Just before 1:30 a.m., the man suffered serious injuries.
- He was transported to Hawkesbury and District General Hospital and then taken to an Ottawa area hospital where he is listed in serious condition.
Two investigators and one forensic investigator have been assigned to examine the circumstances of the incident.
The SIU is appealing to anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529.
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342