SIU Investigators Examining Incident Inside Hawkesbury OPP Detachment
Case Number: 17-PCI-237
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-PCI-237
- On August 30, 2017, just before midnight, OPP officers were called to a residence in the Main Street East and Tupper Street area.
- At the residence, a 56-year-old man was arrested.
- Around 12:30 a.m. on August 31, 2017, the man was lodged in a cell at the OPP Hawkesbury Detachment.
- Just before 1:30 a.m., the man suffered serious injuries.
- He was transported to Hawkesbury and District General Hospital and then taken to an Ottawa area hospital where he is listed in serious condition.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342