SIU Investigating Police-Involved Shooting in Toronto
Case Number: 19-TFI-254
- At approximately 3:50 a.m., an individual contacted police to report a road rage incident, and that the driver of the other vehicle might be armed.
- Officers located the vehicle of interest in a Tim Hortons drive-thru in the area of Jane Street and Falstaff Avenue.
- There was an interaction with the 29-year-old driver and a police officer discharged his firearm multiple times. The man was struck. He was taken to hospital for treatment.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342