SIU Appealing for Witnesses to Woodstock Incident
Case Number: 22-OVI-154
- At approximately 3:30 a.m. on June 15, 2022, a Woodstock Police Service officer was in the area of Roth Park when he observed a man riding a bicycle who matched the description of a person of interest.
- The officer attempted to engage the man, and the man subsequently fell from the bicycle.
- He was apprehended and transported to hospital where he was diagnosed with a serious injury.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES