SIU Investigating Officer-Involved Shooting Death of Man in Hamilton
Case Number: 22-OFD-233
- At approximately 4:30 p.m. on September 12, 2022, officers from Halton Regional Police Service and Hamilton Police Service located a man suspected to be involved in serious incidents in Mississauga and Milton in the area of York Boulevard in Hamilton.
- There was an interaction and officers shot the man in Mount Hamilton Cemetery near York Boulevard. Paramedics were called.
- The man died at the scene.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES