SIU Investigates Fatal Shooting in Toronto
Case Number: 12-TFD-057
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-TFD-057
On Monday, February 20, 2012, the Toronto Police Service (TPS) contacted the SIU and reported the following:
· At approximately 10:40 a.m. on Monday, February 20, 2012 police were investigating a man on Campbell Avenue in Toronto;
· There was an interaction between TPS officers and the man;
· During the interaction the man was shot;
· The man was transported to St. Michael’s Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
The SIU has assigned five investigators and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2038 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 2038.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Lenard Shaw, Lenard.B.Shaw@ontario.ca
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342