Update: SIU Releases Name of Man Fatally Shot in Toronto
Case Number: 12-TFD-057
Mississauga (22 February, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is continuing to probe the circumstances surrounding the fatal shooting of 48-year-old Frank Anthony Berry in Toronto earlier this week.
On Monday, February 20, 2012, the Toronto Police Service (TPS) contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• At approximately 10:40 a.m. on Monday, police were investigating a man on Campbell Avenue in Toronto;
• There was an interaction between TPS officers and Mr. Berry;
• During the interaction, Mr. Berry was shot;
• He was transported to St. Michael’s Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The SIU has assigned five investigators and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident. One subject officer and seven witness officers with TPS have been designated.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2038 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 2038.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342