SIU Investigates Vehicle Death in Hamilton
Case Number: 12-OVD-098
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-OVD-098
Mississauga (6 April, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a female motorist in Hamilton today. The Hamilton Police Service (HPS) reported the following information to the SIU:
• At approximately 10:00 a.m. on Friday, April 6, 2012, officers from HPS were in the area of Concession 5 West and Middletown Rd in West Flamborough awaiting the start of a bicycle race;
• A vehicle approached the intersection, northbound on Middletown Rd at high speed;
• The vehicle proceeded through the intersection of Middletown Rd and Concession 5 West, disobeying a stop sign, and entered a ditch where it struck a tree;
• The female driver was the sole occupant of the vehicle, and has been pronounced deceased at the scene.
Four investigators, two forensic investigators and one collision reconstruction investigator are investigating this incident. Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 416-622-0748 or 1-800-787-8529.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jack Coruzzi, Jack.Coruzzi@ontario.ca
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342