SIU Investigates Vehicle Death in Parry Sound
Case Number: 12-PVD-100
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-PVD-100
Mississauga (9 April, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a female motorist in the Parry Sound area on April 8, 2012. The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) reported the following information to the SIU:
• At approximately 1145 pm on Sunday, April 8, 2012, OPP officers attempted to stop a vehicle driving southbound on Highway 69, north of Parry Sound;
• OPP officers deployed a spike belt in an attempt to stop the vehicle;
• The vehicle struck two OPP cruisers and left the roadway;
• The female driver was the sole occupant of the vehicle, and has been pronounced deceased at the scene;
• An OPP officer at the scene was injured and was taken to hospital for treatment.
Four investigators, two forensic investigators and one collision reconstruction investigator are investigating this incident. Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 416-622-0748 or 1-800-787-8529.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jack Coruzzi, Jack.Coruzzi@ontario.ca
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342