Update: SIU Releases Name of Woman Killed in Vehicle Incident near Parry Sound
Case Number: 12-PVD-100
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-PVD-100
Mississauga (10 April, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of 38-year-old Liza Marie Charbonneau of Ottawa. She died after being involved in a motor vehicle collision near Parry Sound on Sunday.
The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) reported the following information to the SIU:
• At approximately 11:45 p.m. on Sunday, April 8, 2012, OPP officers attempted to stop a vehicle driving southbound on Highway 69, north of Parry Sound;
• OPP officers deployed a spike belt in an attempt to stop the vehicle;
• The vehicle struck two OPP cruisers and left the roadway;
• Ms. Charbonneau was the sole occupant of the vehicle, and was pronounced deceased at the scene.
Four investigators, two forensic investigators and one collision reconstructionist are investigating this incident. Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1935 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1935.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342