SIU Investigates Firearm Injuries in Toronto
Case Number: 12-TFD-104
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-TFD-104
Mississauga (16 April, 2012) --- Ontario's Special Investigations Unit is probing the circumstances surrounding the injuries sustained by a 38-year-old man in Toronto.
The Toronto Police Service (TPS) contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• Before 12:50 a.m. on Monday, April 16, 2012, a TPS officer stopped a motor vehicle for a traffic stop in the area of Northmount Avenue and Delhi Avenue;
• There was an interaction between the officer and a man;
• The officer sustained injuries as a result of being stabbed in the neck, and the man sustained gunshot wounds;
• Both individuals were taken to Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre for treatment.
The SIU has assigned six investigators and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident. Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2314 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 2314.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342