Update: Man Who Sustained Gunshot Wounds in Toronto Succumbs to his Injuries
Case Number: 12-TFD-104
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-TFD-104
Mississauga (20 April, 2012) --- Peter Lumanglas, 38-years-old of Toronto, succumbed to his injuries this morning at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre. Ontario's Special Investigations Unit is continuing to probe the circumstances surrounding his death.
Earlier this week, the SIU was notified by the Toronto Police Service (TPS) that:
• Before 12:50 a.m. on Monday, April 16, 2012, a TPS officer stopped a motor vehicle for a traffic stop in the area of Northmount Avenue and Delhi Avenue;
• There was an interaction between the officer and Mr. Lumanglas, the driver of the vehicle;
• The officer sustained injuries as a result of being stabbed in the neck, and Mr. Lumanglas sustained gunshot wounds;
• Both individuals were taken to Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre for treatment.
Mr. Lumanglas was pronounced dead today at 10:35 a.m. A postmortem is scheduled for tomorrow morning.
The SIU has assigned six investigators and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident. Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2314 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 2314.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342