SIU Investigates Motor Vehicle Injuries in Scarborough
Case Number: 12-TVI-244
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-TVI-244
Mississauga (23 August, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding a motor vehicle collision this afternoon that resulted in serious injuries to both a police officer and a 57-year-old civilian.
The Toronto Police Service (TPS) contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• Shortly after 12:30 p.m. on Thursday, August 23, 2012, a TPS officer was traveling southbound on Midland Avenue to respond to a call;
• Near the intersection of Midland Avenue and Lawrence Avenue East, there was a collision between the male officer’s vehicle and a vehicle being driven northbound by a woman;
• The officer and the woman were taken to Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre for treatment of serious but non-life threatening injuries. The officer sustained a fractured and dislocated pelvis, and the woman sustained a fractured right ankle.
The SIU has assigned three investigators, two forensic investigators and a collision reconstructionist to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-641-1866 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1866.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342