SIU Investigates Motor Vehicle Injuries in Kingston
Case Number: 13-OVI-024
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-OVI-024
Mississauga (27 January, 2013) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the injuries sustained by a 28-year-old male and a 40-year-old male in Kingston last night.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 8 p.m. on Saturday, January 26, 2013, an officer with the Kingston Police Force was attempting to stop a vehicle.
• The vehicle did not stop.
• A short time later, in the area of Elliott Avenue and Division Street, the vehicle struck a tree.
• Both individuals from the civilian vehicle were taken to Kingston General Hospital for treatment, and are in the intensive care unit. The 28-year-old driver is in life-threatening condition with several serious injuries. The 40-year-old passenger sustained a fractured arm and internal injuries.
The SIU has assigned four investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-641-1866 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1866.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342