SIU Appealing for Witnesses to Scarborough Shooting Death
Case Number: 13-TFD-130
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-TFD-130
Mississauga (10 June, 2013) --- Ontario's Special Investigations Unit is appealing for witnesses to a fatal interaction that occurred Saturday evening between Toronto Police Service officers and a 39-year-old male in Scarborough.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• Around 6 p.m. on Saturday, June 8, 2013, officers with the Toronto Police Service responded to an apartment building located at 140 Adanac Drive in Scarborough to deal with an Emotionally Disturbed Person;
• While inside the building, officers encountered another individual;
• An interaction between police and the man ensued outside the building, resulting in the man sustaining gunshot wounds. He was rushed to Sunnybrook Hospital where he was pronounced deceased.
The SIU has assigned five investigators and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident. One subject officer and three witness officers have been designated.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2150 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 2150.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342