SIU Investigating Motorcycle Death on Highway 401 Near Belleville
Case Number: 13-PVD-168
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-PVD-168
Mississauga (16 July, 2013) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding a fatal motorcycle collision near Belleville early this morning.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 12:00 a.m. on Tuesday, July 16, 2013, a motorcycle was traveling westbound on Highway 401;
• An officer with the Ontario Provincial Police Napanee Detachment (OPP) attempted to stop the motorcycle.
• The driver of the motorcycle crossed the highway and continued westbound in the eastbound lane.
• A short distance later the motorcycle collided with an eastbound vehicle.
• The male motorcyclist was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU has assigned three investigators, two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2038 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 2038.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations