SIU Investigating Motorcycle Death on Highway 401 Near Belleville
Case Number: 13-PVD-168
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-PVD-168
Mississauga (16 July, 2013) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding a fatal motorcycle collision near Belleville early this morning.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 12:00 a.m. on Tuesday, July 16, 2013, a motorcycle was traveling westbound on Highway 401;
• An officer with the Ontario Provincial Police Napanee Detachment (OPP) attempted to stop the motorcycle.
• The driver of the motorcycle crossed the highway and continued westbound in the eastbound lane.
• A short distance later the motorcycle collided with an eastbound vehicle.
• The male motorcyclist was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU has assigned three investigators, two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2038 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 2038.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342