SIU Investigates Shooting in Toronto
Case Number: 13-TFD-181
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-TFD-181
Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding a police involved shooting on Dundas St. W. west of Bathurst St. in Toronto at approximately 12:10 a.m. this morning.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
- Police were investigating a man on a street car on Dundas Street W.;
- There was an interaction between the man and the police;
- The man was subsequently taken to hospital with a gunshot wound and has died.
The SIU has assigned six investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1965 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1965.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Lenard Shaw, Lenard.B.Shaw@ontario.ca
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342