Update: SIU Continues Investigation into Toronto Shooting Death
Case Number: 13-TFD-181
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-TFD-181
Mississauga (29 July, 2013) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding the fatal shooting of 18-year-old Sammy Yatim in Toronto this weekend.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• Shortly after midnight on Saturday, July 27, 2013, Toronto Police Service officers were investigating a male - Mr. Yatim - on a street car on Dundas Street West, west of Bathurst Street;
• There was an interaction between Mr. Yatim and police, and he sustained multiple gunshot wounds. A conducted energy weapon was also deployed;
• Mr. Yatim was subsequently taken to St. Michael’s Hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.
The SIU has assigned six investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident. At this time, one subject officer and 22 witness officers have been designated. As part of the investigation, witnesses are being interviewed and video footage has been obtained. A post mortem was conducted on the weekend.
Anyone with video footage or who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1965 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1965.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342