Update: SIU Continues Investigation into Toronto Shooting Death
Case Number: 13-TFD-181
Mississauga (29 July, 2013) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding the fatal shooting of 18-year-old Sammy Yatim in Toronto this weekend.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• Shortly after midnight on Saturday, July 27, 2013, Toronto Police Service officers were investigating a male - Mr. Yatim - on a street car on Dundas Street West, west of Bathurst Street;
• There was an interaction between Mr. Yatim and police, and he sustained multiple gunshot wounds. A conducted energy weapon was also deployed;
• Mr. Yatim was subsequently taken to St. Michael’s Hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.
The SIU has assigned six investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident. At this time, one subject officer and 22 witness officers have been designated. As part of the investigation, witnesses are being interviewed and video footage has been obtained. A post mortem was conducted on the weekend.
Anyone with video footage or who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1965 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1965.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342