SIU Investigates Shooting on Crotch Lake
Case Number: 13-PFD-178
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-PFD-178
Mississauga (26 July, 2013) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the firearm injuries sustained by a 45-year-old male on Crotch Lake at approximately 5 p.m. yesterday.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• Members of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Lanark County Detachment attended a rural residence on Crotch Lake, Central Frontenac.
• There was an interaction between OPP officers and the male at the residence;
• A police firearm was discharged, striking the male.
• The man underwent surgery for his injuries at Kingston General Hospital and remains in serious condition.
The SIU has assigned five investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident. At this time the SIU has designated two subject officers and six witness officers in relation to this incident.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1935 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1935.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342